Occupational Hygiene - Summer Internship Programme.
Become an Occupational Hygiene Intern - Learn New Skills and Challenge Yourself!
The internship programme will reopen for applications from August 2022.
INTERNSHIP UPDATES (March 2022)
- Two internships were awarded to science graduates (November 2021 – February 2022).
- One intern has been offered a permanent placement with their business host upon completing their internship
- The second intern has been offered a part-time role while she completes her studies – and a full-time role after that if interested
- This programme has directly resulted in an additional two future occupational hygienists being injected into the profession
“I have gained further employment after the internship. So I will take away a lot, including starting and enhancing my career” (Intern).
“Definitely [was] a benefit to our business” (Business Host).
A new Occupational Hygiene Internship Programme has been established by the Health and Safety Association of New Zealand and the New Zealand Occupational Hygiene Society.
Be part of a learning experience that extends your studies into the workplace and gives you an opportunity to apply your knowledge.
We have three paid internship opportunities available over the 2021/2022 summer located in:
- Mt Maunganui
- Palmerston North
´The Occupational Hygiene Internship programme provides a unique opportunity for graduates to gain valuable on-site experience by working within a professional organisation. You’ll gain valuable skills and knowledge while learning about this exciting industry’ Miriska Gerber – NZOHS President
So what is Occupational Hygiene?
Occupational Hygiene is an interesting and rewarding career choice.
Occupational Hygienist are the scientists of health and safety – they play a significant role in preventing and reducing work-related health risks in New Zealand.
Work is extremely varied, ranging from observing how organisations are using chemical agents such as gases or dust, to determining whether the controls in place to prevent ill health are effective to protect people at work and the surrounding communities.
Occupational hygiene is a multi-disciplinary science, meaning it draws on aspects of toxicology, chemistry, physics, physiology, maths, and engineering.
Want to know more about Occupational Hygiene Click Here
- The programme will run from mid-November 2021 to mid-February 2022 for 10 weeks.
- You will be placed within an organisation (the Business Host) and be provided with relevant and purposeful occupational hygiene learning opportunities.
- You will be employed on a fixed term contract with the Business Host for 40 hours per week and be paid a living wage of $22.75 per hour.
- You will be supported by HASANZ and the NZOHS with regular check-ins with you and the Business Host to ensure you both have the best experience possible.
- You will gain insight into occupational hygiene as a profession.
- You will have an opportunity to learn new skills and knowledge and apply the ones you have learned through your studies.
- You will be supervised by a professional with expertise in occupational hygiene.
- Work on an interesting key project or activity.
- Receive remuneration for your work experience.
- This programme is most suitable for graduates who are at the end of their study.
- You must be studying in a relative field for example: toxicology, chemistry, physics, physiology, maths, or engineering.
- Most suited to graduates who are interested to learn more about this industry or gain some experience while pursuing a career in Occupational Hygiene.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
What’s the Process?
Refer to the application timeline process here.
Applications are CLOSED (30 September 2021).
Successful applicants will be advised mid October 2021.
Need more information?